Friday, February 22, 2013

I Want to be Like Her When I Grow Up

Okay, so it's a week after Valentine's Day, but love never goes out of style, right?

I just had to share with you this awesome story I ran across about a 108-year-old lady who really rocked. It ties in well to the chapter in my new book, Fear, Faith, and a Fistful of Chocolate, about not being afraid to try new things.

Sadie Galego was born in 1900 in a small town in Maine where horse-drawn carriages were the norm. As a teenager, Sadie packed sardines for 25 cents per hundred cans. She went on to teach for forty years in the same classroom, a stereotypical old maid schoolmarm with a heart of gold for the thousands of students who became the children she never had.

After retirement, she grew tired of the same ole same ole and became a world traveler, hopping on planes to see exotic places and experience new thrills. Then, at age 89, she got married for the first time - to a man 12 years younger!


Yep, Sadie robbed the cradle. Or at least the rocking chair. She had been friends with Frank for more than 30 years when they suddenly decided to get married, surprising their families with the good news only just before the wedding. They lived happily together in a retirement center until Sadie up and outlived her husband by 8 years before she passed away in 2009.

Now's the right time for a brief quote from my book:
"Becoming a risk-taker is, well ...risky. Probably because most of us prefer our safe little lives of relentless repetition. They're just so ding-dang comfortable. Why change something that's no muss, no fuss, to risk appearing ridiculous, or incomepetent, or just plain wrong?

I'll tell you why: because Papa God intended our lives to be abundant: "I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly" (John 10:10, NKJV).And living abundantly includes facing a series of opportunities that requires taking risks.

We mustn't be afraid to try something new. Helen Keller said, "Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."

Cinderella, who had never before been to a ball, was overheard marveling, "One shoe can make all the difference."

Noah had never built even a dinghy before he took on the ark.

If you never try new things, you'll turn into a tree stump. And sooner or later the termites of atrophy will gnaw away at you until you're nothing but sawdust. Limp, lifeless, useless sawdust.

Now really, is that the kind of life you want?"

Well, is it, dear reader? I'd love to hear from you how you avoid a tree stump existence.


5 comments:

Debora M. Coty said...

love this post! Not only for the wonderful story but for challenging us to think about routine. I "see" the word relentless in front of routine. My routine was broken when I received in prayer, "write a daily devotional." Fear, doubt and anxiety became part of my life but only for a short time...soon to be replaced with confidence and joy. I believe we can all break free with God's guidance...after all, He wants so much more for us than what we realize!!!!
Rick Christensen

Debora M. Coty said...

Thanks, Rick! I agree 100%.

Debora M. Coty said...

Some of you seem to be having trouble leaving comments; if this happens to you, please feel free to e-mail me at deboracoty@gmail.com and I'll post it for you, like Rick's comment above.

Melissa said...

Great post and challenge to step out of our comfort zone and try something new! I started writing in my mid-thirties and now when I think I don't have what it takes, I tell myself to "just do it!"

Debora M. Coty said...

You go girl, Melissa!